West Side Stories

Filed under Featured, Opinions

Controversy of Hoodies

Throughout the years and generations, hoodies have been given a negative outlook because of the events that are paired with the clothing.

Some believe that hoodies are what define someone’s character. Older generations have started to characterize young adults as thugs or gang bangers for wearing hoodies and having their hoods up.

The media contributes to the negative stigma associated around hoodies. They can portray young adults living in poor neighborhoods as mischievous and as criminals.

“I think the media has a played a division of people based on generation,” Wauwatosa West parent April Johnsen says, “In the 90’s it was the ‘candy kids’ and the gang bangers’ which seemed to stick to even the current societal views.”  

Clothing should not be a factor in how people view another person. Clothes are what people see first when they meet someone, but that doesn’t determine who they are. No matter how ‘mysterious’ a hoodie may be, they shouldn’t describe a person.”

— Jessiemae Peters

It is also played by older generations views on hoodies, and other clothes, when younger generations wear them inside. Views on hoodies being taken off and the meaning vary. People should look at all the different meanings and reevaluate the old views. Some of those old views do reach down to the younger generations, through parents and other adults.

“It’s just common courtesy to take your hood off when you walk indoors,” senior Katie Herring said, “Schools are just trying to teach that to young kids today, especially with this generation.” 

Parent April Johnsen disagrees. She believes that hoods don’t correlate with respect. Respect is given by other ways, how someone speaks to another and/or how they act towards another. Clothes aren’t what gives someone respect.

“Taking off a hood doesn’t show courtesy,”Johnsen said, “it’s more about the actions and the words of the person that shows respect.”

A lot of these beliefs are created by movies, music, and other platforms.

“Movies [and media] put together by Corporations have given the perception by reinforcing stereotypes that ‘gang bangers’ and thugs wear clothing to identify themselves,” Johnsen said, “People who have been separated by historical and red lining, caused these stereotypes to be ingrained in American culture.”

Although these stereotypes create a huge gap between people, there are some that feel as though it’s more about the when and how they wear them.

“It  gives off the vibe that your hiding something,” Herring said,  “Especially if your wearing a hood indoors when there is no need for a hood.”

Clothing should not be a factor in how people view another person. Clothes are what people see first when they meet someone, but that doesn’t determine who they are. No matter how ‘mysterious’ a hoodie may be, they shouldn’t describe a person.  

How often do you wear a hoodie?

• I wear one everyday. It is my uniform! (40%, 4 Votes)
  • I wear one every couple weeks or so. (30%, 3 Votes)
  • I almost never wear a hoodie. Once a month. (20%, 2 Votes)
  • I never wear hoodies. (10%, 1 Votes)
  • I wear one once a week. Maybe (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 10

Loading ... Loading ...

Many things can lead to the community to fix and change these stereotypes and bias’ against those who wear hoodies. Getting to know others should be essential, rather than just assuming they are a certain way because of what they wear.

“People need to interact with others that are not in their main social group,” Johnsen said, “Not just watch the news and get manufactured political divisions.”

What do you think?  Has the hoodie become a symbol of inner city crime?  Do you worry about what your clothing choices say about you or is a jacket just a jacket?